MVC is the acronym for Model View Controller. It is an architectural design pattern that separates the data and business logic (models) from the presentation (views). The two components are glued together using Controllers. A PHP MVC framework is an implementation of the MVC pattern in PHP. Using an MVC framework significantly reduces the development time and helps you write better code that follows best practices.CodeIgniter MVC framework
is probably one of the most commonly used frameworks. We will be comparing it to Laravel based on this wise
assumption. CodeIgniter has not been updated for some time now so most developers are abandoning it in favors of others. CodeIgniter also lacks other features such as HMVC, exception error handling, built in Object-Relational Mapping ORM framework etc built into its core. On the plus side, Code Igniter probably has the best documentation on the web and it is easy to use. It has a number of libraries that can be added for the features that it lacks. According to a survey by sitepoint
, the most popular framework by the end of 2013 was Laravel MVC framework. Laravel is a relatively younger framework compared to CodeIgniter. It has an active community behind and more people are beginning to use it. Laravel uses the following logo
5 Reasons Why You Should Try Laravel
- Built in authentication library – all you need to do is configure it then start using it. Code Igniter uses external libraries for this.
- Built in Rest Controllers – this makes it easy to built REST APIs out of the box.
- Built in Unit Testing – PHPUnit is integrated into Laravel, you can use it right out of the box
- Easy to extend – extending the framework itself is easier and requires less hacks compared to Code Igniter
- Built in ORM – Laravel has Eloquent ORM out of the box
Laravel uses composer, on a difficulty scale of 1 to 5 with 5 been the most difficulty, Laravel is a level 2 installation. CodeIgniter’s difficult installation level is 1. For a practical tutorial on how to get started with Laravel MVC framework, visit the URL below. Feel free to ask questions via the comments section if you are stuck with the practical tutorial or you would like some clarifications.